Monday, July 23, 2007

Till the cows come home

I did 2.62 today at the old mill. Shook it up a bit by walking for 5 minutes at a 4.0 pace to warm up then ran for 3 minutes bumped up to a 4.7 mph pace then walked for 3 minutes back at 4.0, lather rinse and repeat! Until I had logged 30 minutes on the treadmill then I slowed it down to about 3.0 for a bit because I have developed this horrible trait of turning beat red when I attempt to run and it takes about 30 minutes for my face color to return to normal. It is so bad that when I’m walking back to the office building people look at me like they don’t know if I’m about to pass out or if I just got a bad sunburn. I was trying to bring my heart rate down so hopefully my face wouldn’t be so red. HRMPH! It didn’t work. A friend at work suggested getting in the sauna for a couple of minutes right after I run. She said that she does this and it heats her body up so that when she gets out she cools down fast.

I didn’t get up the gumption to log any miles on the ole mill at home but I also didn’t sit down. We hung pictures, cleaned house, did laundry, mowed, weed-ate and then Saturday nite drove out to a friend’s house for a party where I chased 2 3-yr olds around and pushed them on the swings for about 45 hours. Not really but my arms were a bit sore Sunday and when I was adding it up all-in-all I probably pushed them for an hour and a half (but not all at the same time) that and I lifted them up into the trampoline and back down, so consider it lifting 30 lb arm weights multiple times. Sunday was more of the same – cleaning, moving a couch upstairs, vacuuming, mopping, laundry, and dishes. We grilled chicken boobies and asparagus for dinner last night so that was lunch today and that along with the rosemary polenta I made last week will be dinner tonight. Since it is leftovers I plan on going down to the walking trail, by our new house, to see where it leads and to test out the jogging stroller. Now all I need to do is find that damn GPS so that I can figure out how far the trail is.

I don’t remember struggling so much to start running back in 1991 as it seems to be this time around. Of course, the 50+ lbs that I’m carrying now wouldn’t have anything to do with it, would it? The other thing I’m noticing is that back then I absolutely HATED running, hated it with a passion but for some strange reason I did it religiously and wouldn’t even allow myself a day off – for any reason – I even ran on holiday when we went to Vegas and Myrtle Beach, probably because I was afraid that if I had a day off I wouldn’t start back. This time around I actually like it and am enjoying the soreness in my legs – at least I’m alive and healthy enough to exercise and feel the soreness.

The weight didn’t move a bit, either way, this weekend but I did have alcohol Friday, Saturday and again last night and Saturday I had some potato chips. Apparently Lays has come out with some new ones Rosemary and Herb and the Mr. bought me some because he knows that I have a chip fetish and he thought that I would like them. They were rather yummy but I did mindlessly munch on them, while talking to him, on the way out to our friend’s house and then back – my tummy was messed up from it and I could feel the grease coating my mouth and they sat rather heavy in my stomach. So while I will enjoy chips again I will take a handful out, close up the bag and stop and actually enjoy each and every bite. I was due to start my monthly yesterday and while I’m feeling a bit crampy (probably explains Chipfest 2007 on Saturday nite) I still haven’t started so expect that once I start I will see the scales move down a bit. Currently at 180.5 and sure would like to break out of the 180’s and be 170sompthin!

Ran out of my Kashi oatmeal this morning and had 1 package of Quakers Weight Control – it was too sweet for me and all I could taste was the artificial sweetener so I poured a bunch of cinnamon in it trying to kill the sweet taste and finally remembered that I have a bag of Bobs Red Mill 5 grain hot cereal in my desk drawer so I cut it with some of that, which made it bearable and the Bobs Red Mill has flaxseed in it so that was a bonus and will be a bonus later when the bowels move. I have some flaxseed, ground up, in the fridge at home so I just need to get in the routine of packing a bit up to add to my oatmeal each morning when I pack up my lunch every morning.

I’m munching on a big bowl of blueberries, grapes, kiwi and strawberries right now and will probably have to pee in a minute as I downed 32 ounces of water this morning and am already half-way though my afternoon glass.

No comments: