Friday, January 27, 2006

Treadmill Troubles

I’ve been having a little trouble over the last couple of days with exactly how many calories I burn when running on the treadmill. My treadmill, which allows me to key in my weight, age and track my heart rate, always returns a number of calories burned as a higher number than the results that show in fitday when I key in my minutes and miles. It had me bumfuzzled. Then Hilly pointed me to a neat site that tells you how many calories burned for each activity. (Mucho thanks Hilly)

Last night it finally hit me!

DUH – I always use the incline when I’m on the treadmill so I’m pretty sure it causes me to burn more calories than I would if running on a flat surface. My treadmill shows progress in laps and it takes 4 laps to equal a mile. I walk the first one between 3.5 and 3.8 mph then run 2 laps at 4.3 mph then walk 1, run for 3 then walk the last one kicking the mph slowly down to 3.2 as a warm down for a total of 2 miles. The walking is done with the incline set to 3.5 and the running with the incline on 1.5. With either fitday or caloriesperhour.com it doesn’t have a place to key in if you’ve used the incline. So for now I’m going to go by what my treadmill tells me since it has so much more information to calculate it on – that and the fact that it shows I’ve burnt more calories (hehe).

Reached a milestone today – I have my shirt tucked in. Not a huge milestone but a milestone nonetheless. My dress pants have fit **ahem** rather well up to this point and I just didn’t like the stretched seams screaming at people when I waddled my huge ass by them so I wear tailored shirts but with them hanging out. Today, even though the scales showed the same damn thing as yesterday, the pants are loose and are sitting down on my hips so I tucked in my shirt to keep them from causing me to show a little crack. Not that there is anything wrong with a little crack but just that it is so wrong in the workplace – even if I were a plumber. Really, they aren’t loose enough to fall off but the milestone is that I have enough confidence in the way I look to tuck my shirt in.

It is so easy to look at the tree instead of the forest and get disgusted or depressed that the weight isn’t falling off faster but really when I looked back I have lost 10 lbs in 2 months. Give me a second and let me take a step back and focus on the whole forest. Ok, better now. The silly, little girlie part of me wants it to all be over with and she wants so badly to weigh a measly 140 lbs but the grownup, woman reasons with the little girl and says that 10 lbs in 2 months is a good, steady way to lose weight.

SHUT UP WOMAN!

Didn’t have the chicken boobies for dinner last night because I’ve been busy packing stuff up and getting rid of stuff and last night it was pack up the china and stoneware to go to storage and then move all my scrapbook stuff from the front closet into a spare closet. I didn’t ever get hungry and really didn’t want to eat if I wasn’t hungry so I just grabbed a V8 and sipped on it while moving stuff around. Food calories yesterday came in at 720, which is rather low but again I didn’t want to FORCE myself to eat if I wasn’t hungry. I figured that if my body got hungry it would tell me so. That and the evil co-worker’s cheesecake that she forced (grins) on me the day before that caused me to come in 250 calories over what I had planned was sitting, fresh, on the top of my brain and I think some of it settled around my hips as well.

4 comments:

Kyra said...

I like calories per hour, to figure out incline burning. But to be honest, anything the treadmill tells you is totally suspect, and anything fitday tells you is usually worth ignoring. (maybe sure you aren't logging in normal daily activity too, just the exercise.) With the treadmill incline, I have found that calories per hour does have an incline setting, and if I also put in on the treadmill my goal weight, rather than actual, it comes in closer to the real total. Something to consider - the incline doesn't add as much as you would think it does. Try walking 5 minutes flat, 5 at at an incline and look at the difference in calories. It's depressing, but it's good to know.

Good luck!

Lynne said...

I think that too often we look for huge milestones like pants falling off and dismiss all the small but important milestones along the way. I say celebrate tucking your shirt in! It's an accomplishment in it's own right and I just wanted to congratulate you!

Also, everytime you say chicken boobies I crack up laughing like I'm 12 years old. You're too funny! :)

Critter said...

I feel the same way. I wish I could skip past all the work and already weigh 135 but that's not life.

I can't fit said...

Kyra - thanks for your input. I will have to go back and visit calories per hour and find the setting that allows me to log in incline.

Hilly - chicken boobies, chicken boobies, chicken boobies - nuff said.

Lynne - thanks for the congrats - tucking in my shirt is a milestone for me.

fatgirl - well then life sucks (grins)