Thursday, January 26, 2006

Hungry Building Syndrome

I think I suffer from Hungry Building Syndrome.

Let me explain. While I’m at work I am always hungry and tend to lose my appetite when I am at home during the weekends and evenings. I think it started when I was pregnant this last time as I pretty much munched on something consistently to keep my blood sugars level. It was healthy stuff like an apple or carrots or celery but still I munched away. Only gained 20 lbs but since I was 175 when I got pregnant that is all I was supposed to gain but it started the bad habit of munching. I dropped back down to 175 lbs but started gaining weight when I started back to work because the munch habit kicked in and worked my way back up to 192 lbs. I wasn’t exactly munching healthy stuff unless chips and candy bars are considered healthy.

I sit at my desk for 7 to 8 hours a day so maybe I need a new job. Wonder if anyone will pay me to run. I did change my eating habits back to munching on healthy stuff but still I munch away. Think I could really lose some weight if I could break the munch habit. It just seems like if I don’t have something in my mouth then I’m starving to death – but only at work. I’m not really a gum smacker and chewing gum doesn’t help anyways as my stomach growls. I don’t know if this is actually physical hunger or more of a mental thing but I sure would like to know how to stop it. Hmmmm - counseling anyone?

On another note – one of my evil co-workers came through here yesterday passing out pieces of cheesecake so I indulged. UGH! It put me over my 1500 calories by about 250 calories yesterday and made a huge difference when I hopped on the ole treadmill last night. Once again I felt sluggish and just didn’t have any energy for the rest of the evening. I’m starting to think that downing sugar and fat late in the afternoon really has an effect on my lack of energy the rest of the evening. Brought a grapefruit and an apple today to satisfy any late afternoon munch fest so will see what that does to my energy level tonight. REALLY want to stick a knife in that co-workers back for offering me cheesecake (major weakness).

I know it really isn’t her fault and that I could’ve just said no but it looked so damn good and I haven’t had cheesecake in a really, really long time. Think I’m just going to have a talk with her and explain that I’m trying to lose weight and that I would really appreciate it if she didn’t even bother to offer me anymore fat, calorie laden foods (i.e. desserts). Hopped on the scales this morning and while it didn’t show a gain it didn’t show a loss either. Not that I think the cheesecake alone caused the scales to stay the same but that combined with the chips & salsa and the pizza from the day before probably didn’t do me any good.

I just really want to see something below 180 right now.

So for today food will be:
2 cups Honeydew melon
2 cups cucumbers and tomatoes
1.5 cups whole wheat pasta with ½ cup no sugar spaghetti sauce
1 grapefruit
**Updated**

1.5 cups whole wheat pasta with ½ cup no sugar spaghetti sauce
1 apple
Dinner will consist of grilled chicken booby, 3 cups lettuce with 2 tablespoons of no-fat vinaigrette and roasted red bell pepper.

Had black bean soup for lunch instead of the pasta (for the fiber - like 10 grams a serving) and 8 ounces of V8 juice for dinner because I wasn’t hungry last night and didn’t want to force myself to eat.

Maybe all that fiber will move things through my system faster.

SIGH!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"grilled chicken booby" - - ROFL!!!

I can't fit said...

Hilly - thanks I will check out that site. Is it the most accurate? I'm asking because my treadmill shows that I burn about 280 calories for running for 32 minutes (combination of walking a lap and running a lap). But it also knows my age, weight and heart rate and whenever I key in my minutes into fitday it shows that I've burnt about 167 calories for 32 minutes.

Very confusing and I'm wondering if the combination of running & walking and the fact that I have my treadmill set to a 3 on the incline make that much difference in the calories burnt.