Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Can You Smell What the Rock is Cooking?

I haven’t posted because there hasn’t been any change. No gains nor has there been a loss either. I haven’t exactly been bad but I haven’t been good either. There sure are a lot of have-not’s in those three sentences – a lot of negative vibes going on!

While reading everyone else’s blogs I realized that pretty much everyone had a New Year’s resolution to really buckle down and start after the first of the year. I didn’t make a New Year’s resolution because I hadn’t gotten to the place, in my mind, where I could. I wanted to start eating right and get healthy but just wasn’t to the place mentally where I felt I could commit to it.

I finally got there – I pulled out a book that I already had that outlined the G-Index diet. I hate that word – DIET! Really this doesn’t need to be a diet but rather a lifestyle change. I don’t need to go on a diet but I do need to change the way I eat, exercise and just about everything else I do. The thing about this “change” is that it actually requires brain cells – you have to plan out your meals and snacks – brain cells that I already have precious few of. Instead of grabbing something quick and easy I now have to actually put certain things together. Oh well, I really needed to dust off my food scale anyways.

The foods are filling and utilize lots of veggies and fruits but they DID have the gall to ask me to give up my precious coffee. Apparently caffeine stimulates the appetite, blood sugar and insulin and God knows that while I do like some things stimulated my appetite isn’t one of them! I’m cutting back slow rather than stopping cold-turkey because I don’t want to suffer from withdrawal headaches while I’m trying to eat right so for now it is just 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I will be switching to half caffeine/half de-café next week. I don’t drink sodas or tea so I don’t have to worry about cutting that out.

Last night I stopped by a health food store, looking for some cracked-wheat bread and instead got all involved in an ionized foot bath. It took 30 minutes and is supposed to draw out all the toxins in your body. I might as well try to heal myself while I’m trying to get healthy. The water was really gross with all the scum it pulled out of my system and I could tell a difference as I had way more energy last night than I’ve had in about 8 years. I’m going to do the foot-bath thangie, once a week, for the next 8 to 10 weeks to see if it keeps helping with the rather lethargic way I have been feeling.

While I was soaking my tootsies (good thing I got a pedicure recently) and talking to the wonderful lady who ran the show we started talking about bowel movements and I realized that I hadn’t had one for about 3 days so now I’m also on a detox program for the next 10 days that is supposed to cleanse out everything hanging around in my lower GI tract. Once all that shit is out of my system maybe I will experience a loss of a pound or five.

The other thing I did was bought a cute pant-suit that when I tried it on was one of those “I could wear it, but should I?” type of pant-suits. I could get the pants buttoned and zipped but you could definitely tell if I was wearing thongs or briefs (it is thongs BTW). My first goal is to get down to 180 lbs and if I manage to lose 6 more pounds then the suit should fit just right. It is a rather forward-thinking reward and last night when I really wanted to have a piece of chocolate I just stepped into my closet and tried on the pants again. It stopped me from eating chocolate – I have to play little games like this with my warped brain.

The thing is that I keep thinking about how Hilly has already lost 100 lbs. WOW – my daughter weighs 25 lbs so that is like her and 3 of her little playmates or an Olsen twin and a half (hehe). I keep thinking that if Hilly (or insert anyone here) can lose 100 lbs then surely I can lose my measly 46 lbs. I think I’m going to print out Hilly’s picture and tape it to the side of my monitor, my rear-view mirror and the fridge just for inspiration.

Tune in next week and watch while I stop smoking and start exercising.

No comments: