Friday, December 16, 2005

Why I Can't Fit!

I decided something.

I’m going to change my goal of losing 49 lbs to just losing 9 lbs. I’m not going to change the ticker above because loosing 49 lbs is my ultimate goal but it seems rather un-daunting. 9 lbs seems like a more realistic goal and certainly is doable for me. 9 isn’t such an unobtainable number. My plan for now is to lose 9 lbs in the next 9 weeks – which should put me at 180 lbs by Friday, February 17, 2006.

That doesn’t sound so bad now does it - 180 lbs by Valentines Day?

It is a little game I will play out in my head – something to trick myself with. I realize that I didn’t get here in just 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or even 1 year and losing a pound a week it would take me nearly a year to lose the 49 excess pounds that have squirreled themselves away on this body of mine. Damn those squirrels – I’m thinking they would make a rather tasty stew with creamy mashed potatoes and some homemade rolls dripping in butter on the side. 1 year certainly sounds like a long time and also is very discouraging whereas 9 weeks sounds much easier to obtain. Much more controllable and I’m all about control.

Too many times, in the past, I have set a goal date to lose those nasty 49 lbs and too many times I have failed. I think that I have been putting too much pressure on myself but I also realize that I haven’t made exercising a priority. I want those bags of fat to “just go away” without me having to think about them – much like the way they arrived. But the “not thinking about it” is what got me in trouble the first time and I’m not talking about the “not thinking about it” causing a pregnancy out of wedlock either. Really – I’m getting too old to not think about it anymore or to get pregnant.

I have OCD and I finally realized that when I try to lose weight I go all out. Exercising like a crazy woman – hey wait I am a crazy woman – cutting out EVERYTHING in the food chain that is “bad” – which translates into anything with flavor - and obsessing on what the scale says. In reality I’m going overboard and hurting my chances of obtaining my goal – then when I don’t reach that goal it frustrates me to no end and I wallow around in food. Telling myself that it isn’t my fault, that my metabolism doesn’t work, that I’m destined to be fluffy for the rest of my life – but that just isn’t true.

It IS my fault.

My metabolism WILL work the way it is supposed to if I exercise something besides 12 ounce curls.

I’m NOT destined to be fluffy.

Lastly – I’m the only person who can do anything about this!!!!! (notice the overuse of exclamation points)

I’m not going to deny myself food anymore as this approach just doesn’t work for me. But I am going to be smart about food choices. If I want chocolate then I will eat some chocolate – this time it will be a Hershey's Kiss instead of the whole Hershey’s bar. If someone offers me cake or pie then I will eat it, but I will cut the piece in half first and give the other half back. If I want something crunchy then I will munch on carrots, celery or an apple, something sweet then a piece of fruit and if either of those cravings isn’t satisfied then I will eat chips or candy – just not the whole bag. I will get out what I intend on eating, close up the bag or box and put it in the back of the cupboard. I can do this – 9 lbs isn’t so bad!

Next week we will be discussing exercise! Now doesn’t that sound exciting?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent approach. i have some differences with your approach. i think that sweets and fats are tiring. a more vegetable based died is more energizing.

i think also that sweet and fat are additive. you know the saying "you can't eat just one" so i don't eat them at all. after about a week of this i honestly do not crave those types of food at all.

but each person has to find their own way. yours sounds like a plan!

i do think for the holidays you should indulge a little. otherwise you will just feel resentful that the rest of the whole can enjoy while you can't. so have a half piece of pie on me!

cat

I can't fit said...

Cat - the upcoming Holidays were exactly what I had in mind as there is always too many parties and way too much food. My thoughts were to fill up with veggies right before I go to the party then only allow myself 1 small plate of nibbles (and not heaping) and when the plate is empty it goes in the trash.

I really don't eat many sweets but do find that I crave them when in denial mode so really this is a change of mindset rather than real eating habits - you've seen me eat.

My real problem is beer and I know I just need to stop but am not sure that the Holidays is the right time to say I'm not going to drink at all. Instead I'm going to set a limit and say that I can only have 3 alcoholic drinks a week - either spread out or all on the same day - my choice (another mind trick).

I will share that slice of pie with you.