Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Struck down by sickness

Quick update as I’ve been fighting an upper respiratory infection for about 5 days now so haven’t exercised since Saturday. Food intake has been ok – I guess – I haven’t been tracking my food but then again I really haven’t been eating. The sinuses draining into my stomach really curbs the appetite doesn’t it?

The Mister got me some chocolates for Valentines Day. It is ok because I asked for them but have only had 1 because they just don’t sound good – damn, you know I’m sick when chocolate doesn’t sound good. I’m hoping the kids eat them all up before I start to feel better.

Don’t really feel bad about the lack of exercise because it is all I can do to drag my arse out of bed and get to work. I have a lovely interview tomorrow so I’m trying to introduce whatever medicine I can into my system so that I feel halfway normal tomorrow. Oh, yeah and TOM is due sometime today so I’m really hoping that the sickness combined with pouring medicine into my body cavity will cause TOM to be a day or 2 late. I really don’t want to go on an interview worrying if I’m going to bleed through or not and this is a full day interview so I’m guessing the white pantsuit is definitely out of the question.

Joke there as any good Southern gal knows you can’t wear white before Easter!

I was reading back through my posts and remembered just how good I felt after exercising so I’m going to go ahead and hop on the ole treadmill when I get home tonight and maybe it will help push this nasty stuff out of my system. I might not run all of it but I am going to try to get in my 2 miles – will just listen to my body and take it easy if need be.

Finally – I love red bell peppers and they are high in Vitamin C so I made some rather tasty stuffed red bell peppers and am eating them for lunch today. Here is the recipe:

½ cup barley
4 red bell peppers
4 ounces feta cheese
1 medium apple, chopped
8 green onions, chopped,
½ cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper

Cover the barley in boiling water put a lid on it and set it aside for 3 hours or you can follow the directions on the side of the package to cook it faster. Chop bell peppers in half, slicing through stems to help them retain their shape when you bake them and scoop out the insides and seeds. Set bell peppers in a baking dish cut side up. Mix together cooked barley, feta cheese, apple, onions, raisins, basil, cilantro, and lemon juice. Taste mixture and season with salt and pepper if need be. Spoon mixture into bell pepper halves. Pour about 1 cup of water into bottom of pan to keep bell peppers moist and bake in a 350 oven for about 35 minutes. Make sure you cover pan with foil to retain moisture.

These were very tasty and the apple and raisins give it a “sweet” taste.

6 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sorry to hear you are sick. I was there a couple weeks ago. It's hard when you want to exercise and can't. I hope you feel better soon. Good luck on the interview. A whole day! Yikes!
I'm going to make my hb go pick up the ingredients for the peppers, they sound delicious!

runny_yolk said...

That recipe sounds good - minus the raisins... yuck I hate raisins. Feel better soon!

Crystal said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

I can't fit said...

Krista - let me know if you like the peppers please and yeah exercise sucks major when you are sick.

purl - feel free to omit them or substitute dried apricots or the dried fruit of your choice.

Hilly - Thanks beautiful red-headed lady.

...jus me said...

Ouuu, the peppers sound really interesting, gotta try them! I understand the not wanting to exercise when you are sick! I am just getting sick, and although I got on the treadmill anyway, I am not down with it yet! In another couple of days I will not be doing anything! Hope you feel better!

Krista said...

Hoping you're doing okay